Thursday 23 May 2013

I’ve got worms!

I knew I’d get you with that title!  Not parasites, but red wigglers! I decided that the best way for me to get rid of my produce/bread/pasta/grain/newspaper waste was to do vermiculture…. aka, having a worm farm!  I wanted something small enough for just me… so I invested in a Worm Factory, which can be inside (in the winter) or outside (from the spring to the fall). Until the worms get settled, it will be inside. The best thing about having a worm farm like this, is that you have a spigot to harvest the compost “tea” for healthy fertilizer for your houseplants etc.

The worm farm I chose was from Amazon.ca . . . Nature’s Footprint.  It is expandable incase I get it going really well, and get my neighbours involved!

 

My compost outside did not have a huge amount of worms in it (I have to admit that I have neglected my composter for the past 6 months).  So I opted to purchase some worms through Burnaby Red Wigglers.  I mailed off my cheque, and before you knew it, I had worms arrive at my door! He also has some information here. Very nice to deal with! Wish I lived in the Lower Mainland to get to one of his workshops.

DSC02154

Here’s a picture of the worms…. most were hiding, but I could tell that there were lots of “babies” in there.

DSC02159

I’m trying to convince Cody that we have new “pets” in the house LOL!

DSC02160

Once I get this worm farm producing, I will post more of my vermicompost adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment