Wednesday 13 June 2012

A good weed – Lambs Quarters

One of the things I remember about my childhood and gardening, is some of the more interesting things my Mother taught me about gathering weeds to eat Smile  One of my favorite weeds is Lambs Quarters. I let them seed all over the garden, so I can eat them when I want. They have a deep rich taste, and are great steamed and served with butter!

It is best to pick them young, and all it requires is a simple pinch with your fingertips to break them off near the ground.  The lambs quarters in the picture below is about 3 1/2 inches tall. Perfect size IMHO.DSC01309

I picked about 4 cups of lambs quarters, and assembled ingredients for a quick wholesome lunch.

  • 1 chopped onion
  • 1 cup canned ham (diced, and home canned)
  • Yam fries
  • 4 cups lamb quarters
  • 2 eggs
  • rye bread

DSC01311

Yam fries went into the oven first, as they take about 25 minutes to get toasty and crisp.  I browned the onion in a small amount of oil, and drained the ham “liquid” into another pot to steam the lambs quarters in.  The ham went in with the onions to warm. I poached a couple of eggs (one per person).

DSC01313DSC01310DSC01312

 

After all was cooked, I plated my meal (hubby doesn’t eat weeds, so that meant more for me!). You are looking at the amount of lambs quarters I got from that pot full… under 1 cup cooked!

I neglected to say I served everything with rye toast and chipolte dip I made with chipolte in adobo sauce, mayo and sour cream… it is a must have with yam fries!

DSC01314

So, when you are out in the garden, think of what weeds you can eat!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. If you were to describe the taste of lambs quarters, it would be between spinach and kale... If you like greens, you would like them :-) Takes a lot to make a meal as they reduce down so much!

      Delete