Monday 3 October 2011

Spicy Rouladen

I was in a hurry to have a dinner prepared the other day… so I decided to make some rouladen, mashed potatoes and sliced carrots for dinner with my pressure cookers.  I’ve found with a pressure cooker, you can make a nice home cooked meal from the beginning to end, in under one hour! If you have two pressure cookers, you can have a meal for a large family done in just a few minutes longer (more food, more prep time).
My post is really about the main focus of this meal, rouladen.  When I worked as a grocery store cashier, I was dismayed to find out that most people bought this cut of meat for stir-fry's. What a waste of a nice cut of meat!
There are traditional fillings to make “beef rolls”, depending upon which region of Europe you come from.  Everyone has their favorite… sometimes it can be as simple as slivered carrots and a piece of pickle, with salt and pepper.  I’ve prepared them in a fry pan, a crockpot, and now because time was tight, a pressure cooker!  I never use a recipe for my filling, as for me, it is a way I can be creative with what is in my larder. 

First, I prepared some of the filling items. 
I fried the following together:
  • 1 small onion, finely diced.
  • 7 mushrooms, thinly sliced.
After they were nicely browned, I put them aside, and then fried up until almost crisp:
  • Approx. 7 slices bacon, chopped up fine.
DSC00512
Next, I spread out the meat strips and coated them with the smallest amount of candied jalapeno syrup, sprinkling with garlic powder, and pickled peppers. The pepper syrup just gave a hint of heat, but loads of flavor to the meat!  I finished the filling for the rolls by covering them with most of the onion/mushroom/bacon bit mix.

DSC00511DSC00513
I rolled each piece of meat as tightly as I could in jelly roll fashion. I used a toothpick for each roll, to keep it together.
DSC00514
I put the rolls in a covered pan that fits inside my pressure cooker, and put a cup of gravy in the pot with them, and sprinkled the remaining onion/mushroom/bacon mix on top.
I then used a long strip of foil to form a handle for the pot, to put it in or out of the pressure cooker. I put the pot on a rack inside my pressure cooker with approximately 2 cups water, and then started it cooking! I brought the pressure cooker up to pressure and allowed it to cook for 20 minutes.  I could have added another 5 minutes with no problem, as the cooker I used, is a lower pressure one – it cooks at approximately 11 lbs. pressure, vs. the 15 lbs. pressure that my old pressure cooker cooked at.
DSC00517DSC00518
When the meat was about 1/2 cooked (the 10 minute mark), I started the other pressure cooker up that had cubed potatoes and thickly sliced carrots in it.  (I kept the vegetables separate by using a steam insert between them). They only needed 5 minutes to cook, and I had the potatoes mashed by the time the rouladen was cooked!
Below is my dinner plate, showing the meal I made, and the beef roll sliced.  It is definitely one thing I will cook again! Yummy!
DSC00519
DSC00521
So, next time you see some rouladen in the meat counter shelves, think of what you can stuff them with!
If you think far enough ahead of time, you can do the above preparation, and put them in your crockpot, to cook to perfection on low, while you are at work! An easy dinner, that is so tasty!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment